Joshua Van Gompel, DPM
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery
Joshua Van Gompel, DPMRequest An
Dr. Joshua Van Gompel specializes in foot and ankle surgery. He has been with Mission Peak Orthopaedic Medical Group since finishing his surgical residency in 2007. To date, he has performed 5,000 foot and ankle surgical procedures, including arthroscopic surgery of the foot, ankle, and leg. He is also skilled in advanced treatment for plantar fasciitis including minimally invasive Topaz radiofrequency ablation. When possible, he recommends nonsurgical treatments to help manage foot and ankle conditions. If surgery is needed, he incorporates minimally invasive surgical techniques whenever possible, which generally have fewer complications and faster rehabilitation.
Dr. Van Gompel treats many high school and college athletes. Helping athletes return to their optimal activity level is very important to his treatment philosophy. Dr. Van Gompel also frequently treats bunions and heel pain/plantar fasciitis, ankle and foot fractures, and Achilles tendon injuries. He has extensive experience in treating traumatic injuries, arthritis, major deformity reconstruction, neuromuscular disorders, and rheumatoid reconstruction.
Dr. Van Gompel obtained his bachelor’s degree at the University of Wisconsin—Stevens Point and received his medical degree at the California College of Podiatric Medicine. He then completed his residency in foot and ankle surgery at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Milwaukee, WI. Dr. Van Gompel is board-certified by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery. He holds certifications in Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery as well as Forefoot Surgery. He is also an attending surgeon for the UCSF/VA-SF Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency program. Through this, he keeps up to date with all of the latest techniques and products related to foot and ankle treatment.
In his spare time, Dr. Van Gompel enjoys spending time with his wife and two children. His hobbies include snowboarding, hiking, traveling, and watching football. His favorite team is the Green Bay Packers.
Dr. Van Gompel specializes in the treatment of a variety of foot and ankle procedures including:
- Tendon Injuries
- Arthritic Conditions
- Ankle and Foot Fusions
- Congenital Foot Deformities
- Foot and Ankle Surgery, Arthroscopy
- Ankle Sprains and Achilles Ruptures
- Bunions and Heel Pain Treatment
- Ankle and Foot Fractures
- Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, Bachelor of Science, Stevens Point, WI. 1996-2000
- Medical: California College of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco, CA. 2000-2004
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Residency: St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI. Performed over 2,800 surgical procedures. 2004-2007
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Abstracts and Presentations
- Deep Vein Thrombosis in Foot and Ankle Surgery.
Presented at the "Wisconsin Society of Podiatric Medicine Foot and Ankle Conference", Waukesha, WI, June 2007.
- Modified Lapidus Arthrodesis with External Fixation. Presented at the "Wisconsin Society of Podiatric Medicine Foot and Ankle Conference", Wisconsin Dells, WI, July 2006.
- Conservative Treatments for Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction.
Presented at the "St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center Foot and Ankle Conference", Milwaukee, WI, June 2005.
- Rail External Fixation for Stabilization of Closing Base Wedge Osteotomies and Lapidus Procedures.
"The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery", May / June Edition, 2006, Letter to the Editor.
- Modified Lapidus Arthrodesis with External Fixation: Technique and Results.
Poster exhibit at the "ACFAS Scientific Conference" March 20th 2006.
- A Cadaveric Comparison of Internal vs External Fixation for the Lapidus Procedure.
"The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery", Febraury 2009.